Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rickshaws and Tuk Tuks


In all the time in China I never did ride on a rickshaw. I wanted to, so it is on my list to do when/if I return.

But I did manage a couple of short journey's in a tuk tuk. These little vehicles come in a great range of shapes and sizes - certainly not built to carry tall Aussies! The day we went to Anchung on the bus (OK, the WRONG bus), we managed to find a tuk tuk to take us from the unnamed village where we had got off the bus.

Three Aussie women were squeezed into the tuk tuk that took us up a hill and along a rough rode. It was a journey that was uncomfortable for many reasons - the vehicle shook and wobbled, as we sat with our legs almost wrapped around our legs. The driver spoke no English, and we had no idea if he was taking us to the right place.

After about 20 minutes he stopped, and asked for his money and pointed. It seems that we had arrived. On the same day we had another strange journey in another of these vehicles but I'm pleased to say we had a bit more leg room.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rickshaw lady? Unfinished business, Di. Are you really contemplating a return.

Di Hill said...

Absolutely, if I can.